I spent four years of my life in Shawnee, Oklahoma at Oklahoma Baptist Univeristy. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. In many ways, it has made me who I am. Though I’m not particularly religious anymore, I still really like OBU and think it is a good school.
Well, I thought that until not long ago, when a friend of mine was fired from OBU.
I worked in the PR office at OBU my senior year under Zack Zinkaid, who was the PR director. Last week, he wrote a letter to the local paper in Shawnee criticizing the decision of a local church to move out of a poor neighborhood and build a $10M expanded church complex.
The article had nothing to do with OBU, yet Zack got fired for harming OBU’s image.
I can’t say how bad a move this has been for OBU, so many people are upset about it:
- The McCarty’s say: Oklahoma Baptist University Will NO Longer Be Recommended By Me and have written a letter.
- Nathan Sweaney gives an insider’s perspective (he worked for Zack).
- Tim Youmans says Invite a Prophet to Dinner, then says No, really. invite a prophet to dinner, because he got fired…
- Mainstream Baptist says: “Today, many Baptist ministers just seem to be interested in building bigger barns.”
- Brandon talks about how to get fired from a conservative christian college, offers some further thoughts and then provides more analysis
- James Stewart calls it Abdication.
- Ol Cranky says Isn’t this a job for the Horowitz helpline?
- Teacher Dave asks What the crap is happening in Shawnee?
- Ramblin’ Educat is One of The Masses Of Pissed Off Former Beanie Wearers*
Then there’s the Google-bombers: